Thursday, October 28, 2010

USPS You Are NOT My Friend

Late Friday afternoon I got an email from a lady in NYC wanting some Halloween cookies for her child's party at school this Friday.  This was going to mean a quick turn around time, but didn't want to turn down the money so I told her I could do them.

I worked on them most of the day Saturday and a better part of Sunday afternoon.  Carefully packaged them so that they would not shift and break in the container I put them in.  I put them in a larger box than necessary so that I could put lots of packing materials around them.  Nothing was moving inside the box when I took it to the post office.

Before I package them...this is what they looked like:

This is not the actual picture of the cookies I baked this weekend - its from my Etsy site, but you get the idea.

THIS is how they arrived to the lady on Wednesday:




Thankfully I purchased insurance, but not only do I now have to refund her money (which means a waste of my weekend) BUT I didn't charge her enough for shipping and if she doesn't want to go to the hassle of filing the claim herself, I told her I would refund her the shipping costs to send them back to me, so instead of making some extra money, I LOST money on the deal.

USPS might be cheaper, but I've kind of lost faith in them.

No comments: