Monday, November 09, 2009

What Was I THINKING?!?

That pretty much sums it up. My first Etsy sugar cookie order was a learning experience (that’s the nice way to put it).

First, how long does it take to make, decorate, and individually wrap 84 red Volkswagen sugar cookies with flames on the back? Answer: 20 hours approximately (maybe a little more).

I mixed the dough up Friday night, and then got up early Saturday morning to starting working on them. Naïve me thinking “oh, I’ll get these done early so I can do some house cleaning this evening.” Uhhh, didn’t happen. I started at 7:30 a.m. and finished decorating them at 9 p.m. I did take two short 15 minute breaks and had to get up and move a few times during the day, but I basically spent the entire day making cookies. And other than a small bowl of cereal and a handful of pretzels, I didn’t eat either. By 9 p.m., this is how things were looking:


My kitchen at 9 p.m.

This is how much space 84 cookies (actually there are 97 I think) take up on my kitchen table.

Almost finished product. Those look like flames right? Say "yes".


You would think from there I would have gone to bed. I WISH!!! I was having my bible class over for dinner the next evening, so I did some house cleaning while the icing set up. At midnight, I was putting cookies in little plastic sacks and tying them with a bow. Bedtime came at 1 a.m. I SOOOO didn’t charge her enough.

Fast forward to Sunday night. Bible class group left at 7:30 p.m., so I’m thinking “YES! I can curl the ribbon, box them up, and make it to bed by 10:00.” I go to retrieve the container of cookies and much to my dismay, the wheels had bled on over half of them! WHAT?!? I’ve never had this happen before. At first I’m thinking it’s just one or two. Oh no, well over half of them had black icing bleeding a good half inch onto the red. Shoot me now! I’m panicked. I want to cry. I can’t redo all of these cookies. Not only is there not enough time, but my hand is killing me still from the day before.

I’m now doing this mental check list in my head…“what did I do differently this time that I haven’t done in the past?” I had just used the same black icing the weekend before to decorate Halloween cookies and they didn’t bleed. Maybe I didn’t let the red icing set long enough. I have no idea, but it was too late at that point.


Cookies Saturday night, wrapped and ready to go.

Cookies Sunday night. Thankfully they were not all THAT bad.

This morning I emailed the lady and explained the situation. I told her I could keep them and refund her money (my office would have been eating sugar cookies for a LONG time) or I could ship them and if she’s not happy with them I would refund half her money. I’m praying she’s nice and that doesn’t happen because if it does, I will maybe break even on the deal. Why you ask? Because even though I did some research, I way underestimated the cost of shipping. My expenses came to almost half of what I charged her.

Did I mention I did NOT charge her enough? And for all of you out there that said I should be charging more, please don’t say “I told you so.” I get it. Lesson learned. LOTS of lessons learned to be exact.

1 comment:

OK Chick said...

They look great! I might be having your make some for me....