Friday, June 22, 2007

Value of the Complaint Letter

For those of you who know me WELL, this is not going to surprise you one bit.

A while back, I purchased an edge roller at Lowe’s from Sure-Line to paint around the base boards and ceiling in Kim’s room. The concept was great. It had this edge on it that was supposed to help you paint clean edges (supposedly no tape needed). I started to use it and 1) I had to press so hard to get the roller pad to make contact with the wall that it caused my hand to cramp quickly and 2) the pressure needed was causing the guide to cut into the wall.

The booklet said if you weren’t satisfied, to return it to the company, and eventually I did. I sent them a very polite letter telling them that though the concept was great, the design itself was not. I explained my problems, enclosed a copy of my receipt, and mailed it back last Friday.

Today when I checked my mail, there was a package from them in my mailbox. My first thought was “great, they sent it back.” But I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the package. Inside was an edge painting kit, a replacement roller pad for a regular size paint roller, a 3 pack of Rubbermaid paint brushes (nice ones), and a letter apologizing for my unpleasant experience explaining there was defect with the product I had and that they would be sending me a check to cover the purchase price, taxes, and shipping charges. So I would like to give props to the Sure-Line company for their more than fair handling of my complaint.

I have to say, I’m finding lately that writing polite complaint letters to companies with products that do not live up to standard is not a bad thing. First of all it makes them aware that improvements need to be made, and they usually compensate you for your trouble. I also sent a letter to Neutrogena regarding a product of theirs that I was not pleased with suggesting they make some changes. They sent me a check refunding my money and thanked me for my suggestions.

So the next time you purchase a bad product…don’t assume its money lost. Contact the company and they might just make it worth your while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I found your site as I was looking for samples of complaint letters. You are bringing very good points, however, you may be interested in reviewing some sample complaint letters that I found on the net.

You can also use the site to post your own complaint letter

Regards,