Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Food War

I had opted not to post this, but in light of many of the posts I have read today, I changed my mind.

Today, it's all about trans fats. I have had to start watching my cholesterol intake, which also means watching my saturated fat and trans fat intake. Here is what I have learned thus far...

- You have to read ALL the nutrition facts. They have ways of sneaking things in.

- There is both good and bad cholesterol. You might have known this, I kind of think I did, but never paid much attention till now. The trick is figuring out what has what.

- Trans fat and Partially Hydrogenated Oils are basically the same thing. Just because your label says "No Trans fats" keep reading. If there Partially Hydrogenated Oils are listed in the ingredients list, you're getting trans fats...it just means there is less than 0.5 grams in it. But if you eat enough items thinking you're not eating Trans fats, it will add up and then you defeated your purpose.

- Trans fats are BAD!

- KFC's "No Trans fat Chicken" still isn't good for you.

- Having to constantly think about what you're eating takes the fun out of eating.

- Hot Tamales have no fat and no cholesterol. They've become my new chocolate!

- I don't like skim milk. I was a 1% drinker and liked it, so I didn't think the switch would be that big of a deal. I can't drink it. It works on cereal though.

3 comments:

OK Chick said...

I agree on the skim milk. I feel like I'm drinking water. Gross.

I love Hot Tamales. I should buy some and put on my desk.

Karen said...

Get some natural peanut butter too. It takes some getting used to because it doesn't have as much sugar as Jif or Peter Pan, but it grows on you.

Anonymous said...

Love me some Hot Tamales. I hope I don't have to start watching trans-fat, doesn't sound like much fun. The fast is killing me, but I'm holding strong!