Thursday, January 18, 2007

New Experience

Today I went in for an adjustment on my teeth (I can pronounce it, just can’t spell it). They went in and filed down my teeth so that they would hit more even. As the doctor explained it, it’s like filing down the leg of a table so that the table won’t wobble. He said that by filing down my teeth in spots, it would make my teeth hit more even when I close my mouth and would take the stress of the muscles of my jaw (the reason behind this whole thing in the first place.)

To look at me, you can’t tell a difference. But when I eat, I can REALLY tell a difference. After so many years of your life (chances are the last 29 of mine) you get used to chewing a certain way and then all of a sudden, it’s different. My teeth touch together differently. It’s probably normal for most of you, but for me it’s a whole new experience.

The procedure itself wasn’t bad. No Novocain necessary. The sound of the drill and the tastes of my own teeth weren’t pleasant though. It was more annoying than anything. Oh, and his assistant today had never done one of these procedures before, so that slowed things down since he kept having to show her what he needed next and explain to her what he needed her to do. I have to go back in 2 weeks for a follow-up appointment and may need to have a little bit more filed down then (but I hope not).

On another note, have you ever had one of those projects that needs to be done, but its so mind numbing, that you just can't tolerate doing it another second, so you find yourself putting it off and finding other things to do (like post on your blog) just to avoid doing it. I have one of those at the moment. There is no "deadline" but it does need to be done "soon". I think I'll have a hard time getting inspired till I have an actual due date.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is it a better experience after you had the adjustments made, or just different until you get used to it?

The Anonymous one

Stacey said...

I think I'm going to have to say different till I get used to it. My teeth still feel rough (which feels like I need to brush them constantly), but I'm told that they'll smooth out over time. And chewing is just a different experience - which I'm sure I just need to get used to too.